2020/21 Co-Learning Programs
Starting in November, we will run weekly courses in a variety of subjects. The theme will be Life Skills.
- Baking and cooking. Fun sessions to prepare their own meals and bake cookies or Thai sweets.
- English stories and conversation. Children’s stories available online that can followed interactively. Our English tutors will follow up with conversations using the vocabulary and sentence patterns learnt from reading and listening to the stories. It’s a new way of learning a language based on the Rapid Method.
- Music appreciation on Music Sundays. Learn to read and play music. Group sessions led by our multi-talented music tutor. Individual lessons for guitar, drums, violin or piano can be booked privately.
- Science Projects. On our science days, we will work on various science or chemical projects, covering crucial scientific principles and understanding the fundamentals of inquiry by observation and experiments.
- Mathematical Thinking. We don’t teach mathematical operations. The Montessori approach is all about concrete observation and experience. But we will take it further with our Math Days – children will play logic games, learn chess and go, work on coding projects and program robots or external devices.
Teenagers and Young Adults
- Coding and web design. Building websites using WordPress and widgets. Integrating e-commerce and payment mechanisms. Designing forms and autoresponders. Our tutor will help each person design their own functioning website that can develop into a money-making machine (see the marketing course).
- Entrepreneurship. How to make money as an independent freelancer or business owner. We focus on business systems, passive income, competitive advantage and increasing your earning power. Participants will build their own independent business and understand how to leverage their time and transcend the “salary mentality”. This is a co-learning group. We will learn how to move away from selling your time and effort to either high-value services or develop automated systems that generate passive income streams.
- Marketing. Another co-learning group where we will help each other to understand product/service positioning, how to present your business offering and the technical aspects of Social Media Marketing, writing copy for your website, posts and emails, how to implement good SEO and how to promote your business or service in the most cost-effective way.
- Video/Audio Editing. Video Production. Voiceover. Learn to make videos for YouTube or FB page or website, become a voiceover artist or podcaster and record and edit your own material. Nearly all our tutors are engaged in developing online self-study material. Also learn how to make interactive marketing or training videos. We have a dedicated recording studio and editing software. And no need to be jack-of-all-trades. Different co-learners will be focusing on different skills. So get help to record your presentations or videos and to edit and publish them online.
- Language Exchange. Come and learn Thai with the Rapid Method. Once you’ve learnt to read (which doesn’t take long), you will work with a Thai co-learner who will help you work through various songs and colloquial stories. As a Thai person, you will gain confidence and fluency in English by having to explain concepts and think in English. And because there are so many bilingual people around, you can always ask for help whenever you get stuck.
- Montessori Internship. If you have recently graduated or are in the process of training as a Montessori teacher then come and get practical experience and learn on the job. We are very flexible, but don’t expect a purist style of Montessori training. You will adapt Montessori to suit your situation, and will be ready to join any progressive Montessori school after your internship.
20 January 2019
Sunday, 9.30am – 3.30pm
Introduction to Montessori Education for Parents and Teachers
Information and Registration Day ฿1,500
Find out what Montessori education all about! You can ask questions you have about your child’s education and how you can help your child at home using Montessori principles.
- What is Montessori Education?
- Why is it superior to conventional school education?
- How to create a Montessori learning environment for your child.
- How to help your child to learn by him/herself.
- What will you learn in the course?
- How long will it take?
- What homework and exercises will I need to do between classes?
- How can I practice with my child at home or at Canaan Space?
- What certification will I receive?
- Where will it be accepted?
- What kind of teaching work can I do with my qualification?
- What further training will I need to do – where and how much will it cost?
January – June 2019
20 weeks: Saturdays 9am-4pm
Montessori Training for Parents and Teachers – Primary Years (3-6)
฿32,000 for all four modules / ฿8,000 per module
What will you learn in the Montessori Course?
We will be offering a basic course in Montessori Education for pre-school children (aged 3-5) that consists of four modules. Each module consists of 5 full days, one day per week (probably Saturday) over five weeks, with opportunity to come and practice the ideas with your own children in our Montessori classroom during the week if you like. The entire course will be a 20-day course that will take about 5 months to complete, starting January 26 and ending around June 29 (depending on holiday breaks).
The 20-week training course is made up of four separate modules:
- Culture & Practical Life
What will it cost?
The course costs ฿8,000 per module. Participants have the option of completing some additional reading and taking a practical and written diploma exam to receive a MWEI diploma from MWEI (Montessori World Educational Institute, Atascadero, California). The MWEI is a scientific research and educational institute that was founded by Margaret Homfray. Margaret worked with Dr Maria Montessori for over 22 years and established Montessori teacher training centers in England, Ireland, USA and Australia. She was given written authorization by Dr. Montessori to train and certify teachers in the Montessori Method.
Your course instructor will be Vicki Sampeck, who is an experienced and certified Montessori Director (also with MWEI). She also ran her own Montessori school for 8 years in the USA along with 16 years in Public Montessori. Vicki is one of the few instructors in the world who can provide authentic training that follows Margaret Homfray’s protocols. The training you receive will be as close to genuine Montessori training as you can obtain anywhere in the world – that normally costs about ฿60,000
It is very difficult and expensive to receive authentic Montessori training. This course is open to everybody.
Note: Each module follows from the previous module. For parents who are just wanting to understand Montessori and use some of her ideas in your child’s education, you can maybe skip the first three modules and just attend the last one (Culture & Practical Life). However, for certification, you will need to complete all four modules.
Vicki Sampeck is a Montessori parent with 3 grown children. She is an educator, consultant, parenting mentor and teacher-trainer, having taught and served in both public Montessori schools and her own private Montessori school for a total of 28 years. She is Montessori-Certified for Primary (3-6 years), Lower Elementary (6-9 years) and Upper Elementary (9-12 years); and has trained and certified Montessori Teachers in Washington State and California with MWEI and also at the University of California in Santa Barbara.
In addition, she is also certified with the Texas State Board of Education in TESL (Teaching English As a Second Language) and French and teaching Talented and Gifted Children. Her certications include K-6 General Education for all subjects (from Kindergarten to Grade 6).
Vicki grew up with and around Montessori. Her own mother was also a Montessori Teacher and Teacher Trainer. Vicki was trained for several years by Margaret Homfray, who collaborated with Dr Montessori for over 20 years. Miss Homfray developed the English Language Reading Program which is registered in both her and Dr Montessori’s name. Dr Montessori gave Miss Homfray written permission to train and certify students in the Montessori method – which became established first as St. Nicholas Training Centre, London and later as MWEI.
Vicki is widely known and deeply respected for her ability to articulate the nuances of Montessori practice and the inner preparation of the teacher. She has also taught in Montessori Schools in Austria, Poland and Italy. Countless Montessorians around the globe consider her a mentor and friend.